Chicken and Quinoa Taco Soup
Although summer is on the horizon a veggie loaded soup on a rainy spring day hits the spot! This one is so simple to whip together, can be substituted for any of your favorite seasonal veggies and elevated with some local farm raised chicken (shout out to Vernon Family Farms for the tastiest, cleanest chicken around).
3 peppers, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 chicken breasts
92 oz. (3 cartons) organic free-range chicken broth
2 cans low-sodium corn
2 cans low-sodium black beans
2 cups dry quinoa
1 cup water
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can mild diced chilies
Chili powder, garlic salt, garlic powder & cayenne paper to taste
1. Chop peppers, garlic & onion, add to large pot on medium high heat with olive oil. Saute for 3-5 minutes until soft.
2. Cover with chicken breasts.
3. Add in chicken broth, corn, beans, quinoa, water, tomatoes, chilies & spices.
4. Cover & bring to a boil, once boiling reduce to heat to low & simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Take out chicken & shred.
6. Add back in shredded chicken & stir to combine.
7. Simmer for another 5 minutes & serve with 1/4 avocado! Enjoy!